1 TBSP olive oil
3 pounds chicken pieces (drumsticks, thighs, etc or chopped from ½ chicken)
8 cups water
A pinch of salt
1 piece of fresh ginger that is an itch thick – make thin slices
10 grams dang gui
20 grams astragalus (huang qi)
1 TBSP goji berries (gou qi zi)
6-8 pieces of jujube fruit (da zao) – take out the seeds
4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 medium onion diced
2 TBSP rice wine
2 medium sized carrots – cut
2 medium size celery stalks, cut into slices
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil until hot.
- Add ginger, sauté for 1 minute, then add garlic and sauté for 1 minute, and then add onions until opaque.
- Add the chicken and salt sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add water and bring to a boil. Skim off any excess oil or fat.
- Tie the ginger, dang gui, and astragalus together in a piece of cheesecloth (just place the herbs in the center and tie the ends.) This will make it easy to remove the herbs later.
- Add the cheesecloth bag of herbs, goji berries, Chinese red dates, and wine to the pot. Bring back to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, covered with the lid slightly ajar, for about 30 minutes. Skim off any excess oil or fat.
- Add the carrots and celery to the soup and cook for another 10-15 minutes.
- When the soup is done, remove the bag of herbs.
- Add a little salt and pepper to taste.