Hi! I’m Melissa. I’m a mom of two kids, an acupuncturist, an herbalist, and a practitioner of Chinese medicine. I am deeply committed to your health and wellness. It is my joy and passion to work in partnership with you on your journey to optimal health.
My journey to becoming an acupuncturist and herbalist started before I was born. My umbilical cord was tightly wrapped around my body causing a condition of cord entrapment and fetal hypoxia. I was only five pounds when I was born and I had serious breathing problems early in infancy. My family took me to many Western medical doctors seeking relief for my breathing problems, but none of them were able to help me. The Western doctors concluded that I’ll have breathing problems the rest of my life. My aunt suggested my parents take me to a local herbalist who treated me with massage and herbs. After only a few months of being treated, my wheezing was gone and I never had breathing problems again.
My early memories of childhood include my grandmother—a pediatrician and herbalist at heart—preparing and applying herbal poultices to me and my sibling’s bumps and bruises. My great-grandfather was a biologist and leading authority of medicinal plants in the Philippines. Now that I am practicing this medicine, I’m honored and humbled to continue in this tradition of healing and herbology.
In my adulthood, I experienced severe psychological and physical trauma. It was the healing power of alternative medicine that helped me. I was able to fully recover from shoulder surgery faster and with no pain medication because of acupuncture and Chinese herbs. Through therapy, meditation and regular energy practice of Qi gong and Tai Chi, I was also able to heal the psychological and spiritual wounds of that trauma.
This experience of trauma and healing has taught me the powerful, indomitable spirit of the human soul and the incredible ability of our bodies to heal. What I call the Little Sage in all of us.
After I graduated from East Asian Medical School, I opened Little Sage Acupuncture and Herbal Medicine with the mission to help as many people as I can with this wonderful medicine.
I would be honored to welcome you and your family into my practice to help you achieve optimal health.
- Masters of Traditional Oriental Medicine (M.T.O.M.). Graduated Summa Cum Laude from Emperor’s College of Traditional Oriental Medicine, the top-ranked school in California and the second-ranked acupuncture and Chinese Medicine College in the United States.
- Licensed acupuncturist (L.Ac.) by the California Acupuncture Board
- Certified Diplomate of Oriental Medicine (Dipl.O.M.) by the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (NCCAOM).
- TCM Diploma in Practical Dermatology
- Member of the International Traditional Chinese Medicine Association of Dermatology
Little Sage Acupuncture & Herbal Medicine
2800 Pacific Avenue
Long Beach, CA 90806